Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Galley hill allotments

Work in progress


Stage 1 - I started with a painted line, then on to large masses

Blocking in masses and getting darker


Building up the darks




It was very dark and grey and cold, very windy and at times raining, but was I happy? Oh yes! I have discovered some local allotments and I am thrilled as I've always loved painting allotments. In fact I did a magazine article for the Artists and Illustrators magazine in about 1995 all about painting allotments in oils! In recent years I have found it difficult to gain access to allotments as they have become locked and gated to reduce crime. It's a shame that it's been necessary for councils to do that. 
So I was extremely happy to be here today and can't wait to go back. I didn't quite get finished as I was too desperate to get to a bathroom eventually! I'm also sorry the photos are so poor - I guess it's because there wasn't any light!
Tomorrow is my 'Finding your style' workshop in Fulbeck which will be very interesting - let's hope we can get into the village hall this time!


10 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to see this in the flesh as the value range seems to change from one photo to another. Having said that it is an engaging piece with colour, texture and lots to draw the eye. Thanks for the process details. Can I ask, do you use a medium when painting plein air?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't get a good photo because of the dark day Mick! Funny you should ask but yes I was using a glaze medium in the early stages - then I inadvertently knocked over the jar into my brush drawer - am left with half a jar of glaze medium and a lot of very sticky brushes :-(

      Delete
  2. Really lovely! So complex yet you've held it together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful painting. You really captured the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, tricky with that kind of flat dull light on a grey day!

      Delete
  4. These are lovely - I have allotments on my list of paintings to do - took some fabulous photos earlier in the year 9when it was sunny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, allotments are one of my favourite all time subjects, my first time was 20 years ago! Have fun with yours!

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done! I've enjoyed going back through your blog and love how your art carries us with you as you interact with your surroundings.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...