Friday, July 19, 2013

Rowing club at Putney

Rowing club at Putney
Things get hotter! The day after painting with the Royal Institute of Oil painters at Maidenhead I painted at Putney with the Wapping group - boy was it hot in the city! Thirty degrees celsius I found out later. There was actually a weather warning in place, we're not good at dealing with weather extremes in this country. Heat and cold both take us by surprise. We're fine with rain and drizzle though.
Anyway, of the four paintings spanning the two days this is by far my favourite one and it only took HALF AN HOUR to paint - how does that happen?!
In fact I confess that I almost didn't start it, thinking it was too ambitious a subject for the time frame but there you go! Surprised myself by managing to capture the essence of the scene, with probably no wasted strokes!

Rowing club at Putney - detail

This is the other painting from the day, the one I laboured over in the sweltering heat -

Towards Putney bridge

And this is a better look at the afternoon one from the day before - 




4 comments:

  1. Hi Haidee
    Hope this man has sun protection cream on!
    What scale do you work when outdoors?
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, it crossed my mind too Jill. I'm sure he did! I work minimum of 8" x 10" and maximum of 12" x 16" usually outdoors :-)

      Delete
  2. Brave of you to start with only 30 mins to spare - but the result is lovely, very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, it's often the way that it turns out to be worthwhile against the odds! Glad to see your plein air studies, coming on nicely!

      Delete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...