Friday, January 31, 2014

A new (P)interest



Study after Richard Emil Miller
1875 - 1943

I was telling you yesterday about my excitement in discovering Pinterest and being able to gather paintings that I find enormously inspiring together in one place. I am also discovering new artists at the same time, like Richard E Miller, an American impressionist. I had never heard of him until I came across this painting of his on Pinterest. He worked for some time at Giverny, and painted lots of 'ladies at leisure', a genre of paintings that I love.

The main thing I notice about my many 'pins' (small images clipped together on a 'board') is the great impact each one has on even a tiny thumbnail size, and the immediate statement that the colour palette makes.

I have long adored pinks and greens together and decided I had to have a play with this high key colour palette. I wasn't trying to achieve a careful copy or drawing but aiming to get the same sorts of colours working together.


 
Richard E Miller
Reading in the garden

1 comment:

  1. I've just discovered Pintrest too, Its seems to be a great way of collecting interesting images together and also taping into other peoples collections too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...